Sunday 29 March 2015

Zaks American Restaurant Review


I've never been to America but I've always been obsessed with their style of food, be it sweets, milkshakes, burgers...I want to try it! After going to Ed's Diner for the first time a couple of years ago, I've been on a mission to try out as many American Diner style restaurants as possible. 

My boyfriend and I decided to spend our Sunday afternoon at Zaks Waterside. Zaks actually started up as a little burger van but due to it's insane success, the founder opened up three restaurants in Norwich - Zaks Mousehold, Waterside and Poringland. They all have exactly the same menu with slightly different interior so it doesn't matter to much about which one you choose to go to!


The walls are adorned with vintage American neon signs, plaques and quirky little wall coverings. My favourite thing is the seating though - if I could have a kitchen with the American diner seating and tiling then I totally would! Check out the cute little tomato ketchup holders too, aww!

There's so much to choose from in the menu which usually results in me telling the waiter I need more time to look! The obvious choice to go for is a burger as they're what Zaks are most famous for but I highly recommend the pasta dishes and hot dogs too. The menu is reasonably priced for an occasional treat but it's obviously not somewhere you'd want to eat every day as those pennies soon add up.


I'm way more of a dessert gal than starter but my boyfriend feels sick at the thought of paying £5 for a slice of cake so we decided to share a portion of the most melt in your mouth cheesy garlic bread priced at £2.95.  Personally, this is one of the nicest garlic breads I've ever tasted. The bread is so thick and it's not that garlic-y (I can't deal with garlic overdose) and the cheese is just perfectly melted. For under £3, I think it's a bit of a bargain too!


AAAH, THE BEST PART! If your mouth isn't watering right now then what is going on?! I went for the 'Rock House' burger, chargrilled and smothered in a tangy BBQ sauce with a slice of monterey jack cheese with sweet potato fries.  My boyfriend ordered 'The Godfather', topped with mushrooms and Parmesan on a garlic toasted sour dough bread also with sweet potato fries. The sweet potato fries cost an extra £1.50 but they're so worth it! So much more less stodgy than regular fries and about a million times tastier. The meat is always of such a great quality and I've never had a burger that tasted less than amazing, I can't recommend Zaks enough.  Zaks have cut their portions down over the last year or so but I don't blame them as I can't ever finish a full meal and it must be disheartening to see so much food go to waste.

If you want to read more about Zaks then head to their website here. If you're ever visiting Norwich I'd highly recommend giving Zaks a go for a pleasant dining experience, I promise you'll love it!

5 comments:

  1. That garlic bread looks amazing aaaah! Hope you had a great afternoon.

    Lauren x (www.foodthoughtslife.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, i love the decor in that place =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like American food, but this does look tempting, even just for the decor!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Went to the zaks in Poringland not long back. No kidding they reduced portion size... i was having a Chinese 2 hours after eating there. Had normal chips an got less than a regular mc ds portion. An the burger advertised as the best burger in town well i can name several American restaurants in the area that beat ya on this. Never again will i go zaks which is a shame as it used to be great. Ive also heard the same from several others over recent months.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. You can also email me - glitterandcarousels@yahoo.co.uk. Don't be shy!