Friday 20 June 2014

The benefits of Coconut Oil


I discovered Coconut Oil about a month or two ago after buying it on a whim.  I'd heard about some of the benefits of this multi purpose product before - the mane (get it) one being for the hair.  Since researching it a little more and testing it out for myself, I wish I'd picked this product up years ago! Let me share my top coconut oil little miracles with you...

Hair  - First and foremost and frankly my most favourite, HAIR! The oil is quite hardened in the tub but upon contact with the warmth of your skin, it quickly melts.  I shampoo my hair first and then distribute a generous amount of the coconut oil through the ends of my hair. With any excess, I apply a little bit to my roots but not too much because it'll look seriously oily otherwise.  I left the oil to work it's magic for around 20 minutes, rinsed it thoroughly and then shampoo'ed my hair again.  This is such tough stuff to get out of your hair so remember to rinse rinse rinse! It's definitely worth all the work though as you're left with the silkiest tresses ever - even Chezza would be jealous.

If you have super dry/frizzy hair, you might want to leave the oil on your hair overnight and wash it off in the morning for an even more silky result!

Makeup Remover -  As coconut oil is a natural product, it's suitable for everyone! The tiniest amount will remove the most stubborn of mascaras. Bye bye panda eyes!  It's very smoothing too so it'll also act as a moisturiser AND you'll have a beautifully scented face. 3 benefits in 1 here! 

Lip Balm - If you can stand a lot of grease on your lips (I have to admit, I can't) then you ought to consider slapping some coconut oil on. It does feel very heavy on your lips and I had to wipe it off after a while but it still made my lips super soft after just half an hour. 

Massage Oil - A coconut oil massage is just the most heavenly thing.  I find the scent really soothing whilst your relaxing. Try not to fall asleep!

Cuticles - Dabbing a teeny weeny blob of coonut oil will really soften your cuticles and you can treat yourself to a hand massage at the same time too.

There are so many other ways to use coconut oil but these are my favourites! I bought my tub from Superdrug but it's available to buy everywhere.  

Do you use coconut oil? Any other benefits you can recommend?

Grace x



17 comments:

  1. i never thought of coconut oil as makeup remover! i love it for my hair :)


    http://georgianicolaou.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on the Superdrug website the other day and was so tempted. I think I might get some elsewhere though as I'd like to try cooking with it too and I don't think I can with this one.

    http://IAmLinderella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely cook with it if I could cook! xx

      Delete
  3. I am loving Superdrug coconut oil & this post gave me some ideas of other ways I can use it:) I use it as a pre shower moisturiser too.

    natashaparisblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh that's a really good idea! i'll try that one today :) xx

      Delete
  4. Coconut oil is the bees knees! It's great to use in cooking as well

    Beccy ~ Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when i become more of a cook i'll give it a go :) xx

      Delete
  5. You've just reminded me to stick some coconut oil in my air tonight :) Thanks!
    TwentySomethingBeauty
    Twitter

    Rachel
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love coconut oil! I mostly use it in my hair :) I never thought of the other ways!

    The Sunday Chapter x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used this exact product on the ends of my hair love it'!xx

    Lauraslittleloves

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this coconut oil, it's so affordable & works wonders on my hair and skin as an intensive moisturiser! How do you get yours out of the tub though? I literally have to scrape mine out! xox

    www.onlyecci.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i do tend to get a little stuck under my nails but that easily comes out. you do have to scoop it out with your fingers! xx

      Delete
  9. love this! i used coconut oil for dry patches on my elbows and knees during winter, its also apparently good for helping eyelashes grow thicker and longer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never knew coconut oil has so many uses! Great post x


    www.kacytalksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've recently started using coconut oil as a lotion and I'm really enjoying it. Might need to try it as a makeup remover next... thanks for sharing!
    x Motte
    http://mottesblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. You can also email me - glitterandcarousels@yahoo.co.uk. Don't be shy!