Sunday 8 March 2015

A blustery day in Southwold


My boyfriend and I went on a little road trip to Southwold yesterday. When I say little, it's about an hour away from Norwich so not the nearest beach we could've visited but it was just somewhere new for us to visit!

If you've ever been to Great Yarmouth you'll know that it is tacky but that's what I love about it! So lets say Great Yarmouth is Primark and Southwold is like, Zara. I'm trying to say it's more upmarket than your regular 'seaside', somewhere you'd go if you wanted to enjoy a nice walk rather than log flumes, sugar dummies & 99p hotdogs.


Considering it's March, the weather was actually so beautiful! So windy but you'd forgive that as the sky was so blue and the sun was shining. We walked across the hut adorned beach and can I just say that I've never seen so many beach huts in my life! We giggled over the names of some of them - look at the one in this photo, so imaginative that I just had to take a photo! I've now decided that I want to live in a candy striped beach hut on the beach for the rest of my life. Who needs a real house.


You can't go to the seaside without having fish and chips right?! I wish we'd have gotten actual chip shop chips rather than the ones in this photo which were just from the Beach Cafe on the pier but it was far too windy to eat outside and I'd end up eating all of my hair instead - seriously, my hair was up and it wouldn't stay out of my face (imagine angry emoji here).  They were actually quite pricey - £8.99 I think but what can I say, Southwold eh?


The most interesting thing about Southwold is the 'Under the Pier' show. Under the Pier is filled with homemade arcade machines that are completely different to anything else you will have ever seen. They're all created by Tim Hunkin an engineer and cartoonist and a VERY intelligent man. When you're looking at the machines, you're just confused. They don't make sense as they're so hilariously bizarre but you can't help but feed them your money. I went onto Tim's website after - http://www.timhunkin.com/ which I wish I'd have read before going as he tells you how/why he made the machines and oh my god, completely mindblown. 


We finished off our blustery adventure with a mooch around the gift shops and an average mint choc chip ice cream - they didn't have bubblegum, what kind of seaside doesn't sell bubblegum ice cream?! come on! I always get scared about taking photos in gift shops because I don't think it's really allowed is it? I bought a couple of little gifts for my Grandad as it's his birthday on Friday but I don't want to say/show you what they are as he occasionally reads my blog. 

I really like Southwold but it's definitely a more grown up place to visit. There weren't as many 2p machines as I'd have liked, no tacky rides and they didn't sell candy floss but maybe I'll love it more in 10 years when I don't still feel 12 in my head.

What's your favourite seaside town in the UK to visit and why?

8 comments:

  1. Haha i love your comparison between Great Yarmouth and Southwold, so true! I live in the middle of them both, and would always chose Great Yarmouth over Southwold! although if you ever go to southwold again you have to try the hot chocolate from the beach cafe, sometimes me and my boyfriend go there just for the hot chocolate, its amazing!
    xx

    Sabrinaharriet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a lovely day and looks like you had a lovely time. Such great pictures too.

    Jackie | fashionxfairytale | bloglovin' |

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to go there =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw I used to love Southwold as a child!

    www.bellechaton.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear, I like your blog very much! ! Everything is so beautiful! I like your style of writing and your photos! I know that blog requires much time, but keep doing it!

    I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

    Diana Cloudlet

    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/ru/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That seems like such a nice beach! The colorful huts are too cute! Lovely photos and post, Grace! :)
    ~Moll

    www.mollymac13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh those sweets look amazing! Lovely pictures and post :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. You can also email me - glitterandcarousels@yahoo.co.uk. Don't be shy!