Wednesday 18 June 2014

Pancakes, punting and beautiful sunshine.


As I had a day off work yesterday, my boyfriend and I decided to have a day trip out.  It was a toss up between Cambridge and shopping in Freeport but the weather was so beautiful, we had to pick Cambridge! We started our day off with a cheeky Mcdonalds brekkie. I had the pancakes with syrup and they were delicious. Does anyone else have pancakes when they go to maccies? I think a lot of people don't realise they exist!


We'd looked at things to do in Cambridge online and decided that we might as well be proper tourists and go on an open top tour bus! I absolutely love it when it's a hot day and you go on an open top bus and the wind is blowing in your hair, when you have to duck to avoid the swinging branches of trees, it's just really good fun AND you get to see all the sights that are a little bit out of the city that you wouldn't get to see if you were just walking around.  The tour cost £14 but lasted 24 hours so we could just hop on and off whenever we fancied. I really recommend doing one if you're visiting a city you're not familiar with. 


I spotted this cute looking chocolate shop on the bus so I dragged my boyfriend in to have a look. The chocolates looked yummy and they all had really unique flavours. I snapped this photo of the chocolates but the woman said I couldn't take photos in the shop in a really rude tone so I just left and sadly didn't sample any chocolate. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to take photos. Does anyone know why this is?


We were getting a little peckish so stopped to get a bite to eat. I'd seen a few EAT shops around London but had never actually ate in one. I had the Mozarella meatball toastie with the most gorgeously refreshing pink lemonade cooler.  Sooo good!


After lunch we jumped back on the tour bus to do some more exploring! Do you not think these hanging baskets outside this pub are just beautiful?! I took a photo to show my Mum as I'm hoping she'll be able to make me some to go outside my house - she loves doing that sort of thing.  There were so many people punting on the river too which was hilarious to watch. You can be chauffeur driven or hire a punt yourself and do the 'punting'. We thought about hiring one ourselves but we're both really clumsy so we'd probably just fall in the water or tip over in our boat or something horrific like that!  I also had a mint choc chip ice cream whilst we watched people punting. Who can resist an ice cream when it's sunny eh?!

I can't do a 'day in the life' post and not include a cheeky selfie can I?! Haha. I was also silly and forgot to apply sun cream. When you're on the bus and it's breezy, you just don't truly notice how warm it actually is resulting in this lovely sun burn!  

We did a little shopping but not too much as we wanted to spend time seeing the sights. We went to this really cool shop called Tiger which I haven't seen anywhere before. It's like ikea, really cheap prices and just full of little handy bits and bobs.  I picked up this rabbit light and the raspberry cutting board for £2 - bargain! I've never had Whittards hot chocolate before either so I bought the banoffee hot choc which I'm going to try for the first time tonight! Excited!  No shopping trip would be a true shopping trip without popping into Boots. I felt a bit like an extreme couponer as this perfume was £23.99 but I got it for £5 as I had a few gift cards to use up. 

Hope you enjoy this post - it's a little different from my usual so do let me know if you liked it and I'll post more like this! :) 

Grace x


20 comments:

  1. I never knew McDonald's did pancake breakfasts! You've taken some real lovely picture, it looks like you had an amazing time xx

    Lauraslittleloves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you neeeeed to try the pancakes, they are divine! xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful day! I did not know about McDonalds pancakes but they look super tasty. I'm quite partial to an egg and bacon McMuffin myself! My bro lives in Cambridge so always enjoy visiting him and the city - it's so beautiful!

    Beccy ~ Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is lovely in Cambridge isn't it?! I only live an hour and a half away from there, can't believe I didn't visit sooner. Your brother is lucky. xx

      Delete
  3. I work at Maccies and have pancakes if I end up getting a breakfast break :) They're so yummy!

    Your day out looks lush :)

    Louise
    xx

    www.confettiletters.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, all the food in this post looks absolutely incredible! I'm kind of stunned by the fact that McDonald's sell pancakes. I didn't know they existed!!

    Sorcha x Bright Field Notes

    ReplyDelete
  5. these photos look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! I love McDonald's pancakes haha I'm easily pleased!
    xx

    Salted Roses // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they're so good aren't they?! thanks Amy :) xx

      Delete
  7. Looks like you had a great time! I went to Cambridge a couple months ago which I really loved, it's a beautiful city. I used to work at Maccas a lifetime ago and would have to pancakes smothered in butter pretty much every weekend!! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh pancakes in butter sounds amazing! I've never actually tried pancakes in butter! xx

      Delete
  8. Cambridge is one of my favourite places to go, i was amazed at how many people ride bicycles there!
    so glad i came across your blog as i love it, youve got yourself a new reader :)
    x

    sabrinaharriet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD, THE BIKES! I know! There are over 35,000 bikes in the city apparently. craaazy! aww thanks so much Sabrina :) xx

      Delete
  9. McDonalds do pancakes?! haha I had no idea! Cambridge looks SO lovely I would love to visit there one day. The chocolates look amazing, I wouldn't understand why you can't take photos either. Seems a bit silly! xxx

    Angela | The Sunday Chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha so many people don't realise about their pancakes! it's annoying as the chocolate shop was so pretty inside :( xx

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. thanks Anika, i love your little moving icon! xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. You can also email me - glitterandcarousels@yahoo.co.uk. Don't be shy!