Wednesday 15 April 2015

Big Bloggers/Youtubers & their even bigger opportunites


So I've just sat at my computer with the view to blog about periods (don't get grossed out, we can talk about them) but I saw a comment on Twitter about that Zalfie announcement and I kind of just want to pour my heart out about big bloggers/youtubers who actually get offered all kinds of unbelievable opportunities.

I'd be a hypocrite if I said I wasn't jealous of the fact Zalfie's living room is probably the size of my entire teeny tiny one bedroomed house.  I'd be a hypocrite if I said that I've never sat at my desk of my 9-5 job and dreamt of being a full time blogger because obviously they have it easy, don't they and that's like my DREAM?! I'd be a hypocrite if I said I hadn't secretly disliked a Youtube video purely out of spite/jealousy...yes I'm serious but honestly, it actually made me feel like the devil!

Why wouldn't I want to be Zoe Sugg?! ERM HELLO?! I'd get to see my face in magazines, photos of me plastered all over the entire country, my own range of actual beauty products that people actually buy with their own money, a waxwork of erm, me and a massive house with a perfect boyfriend and cute little dog. But then I start to look into it a little deeper, I get to go home at the end of every working day and sit on my sofa with my hair in a bun with no makeup on doing whatever the hell I like. Zoe's job is constant, non-stop, every single hour of every single day is a working day.  Imagine feeling ill or desperately wanting to go to a party but you can't because you HAVE to upload a video to meet a deadline/please your fans. Imagine waking up teary in the morning, not feeling mentally as strong as you usually are and having to read thousands of vile comments about you? Imagine going in to your garden and seeing your fans peering over your garden wall or better still, your fans actually ringing your doorbell and constantly tweeting you for photos? I'm not sure I want to be Zoe anymore.

What I'm trying to say is we only see the glossy side of people's lives. People show what they want you to see. They're not going to show themselves having a massive argument with their boyfriend, showing you how they pick their spots until they bleed, how they've cried non stop all day because life is just so overwhelming at times. Just like we don't declare how we put a filter on our selfies to make ourselves look more glowing, how we crop that pile of dirty clothes and chocolate wrapper out of our perfectly crisp, white, insanely clean instagram shot, how we just tweeted about that green super healthy smoothie we just demolished but forget to mention about the Twix you're munching on now.

I'm super super super in awe of Youtubers/Bloggers who get offered all sorts of opportunities. It makes me feel happy that the internet is SO impressionable, more impressionable than we could even believe. It makes me feel insanely proud, as a blogger, that waxworks and books and makeup ranges are actually achievable for people who started making videos/writing posts on their crummy old computer in their bedroom.  I think people who put in serious amounts of effort, people who have even saved teenagers lives through their online presence are getting rewarded for the amount of work they put in. I've seen so many tweets about celebrities that deserve waxworks/books etc more than '#teaminternet' and honestly, it makes me feel sad. Why does anyone deserve anything more than anyone else?!

I read a quote a couple of months ago that I will remember for the rest of my life.

"I'm not interested in competing with anyone. I hope we all make it."

I can hand on my heart say that I truly do hope we all make it, whatever counts as your 'making it', I hope you get it. Feeling bitter about something only makes me feel guilty so why can't I just be happy and supportive to other bloggers/youtubers who are tons more successful than me?! I genuinely think the whole blogging community would be a much happier place if we all embraced this quote.

This post is purely just my opinion. I know not everyone thinks the same as me because the world would be a much more boring place if they did! I'm not preaching to anybody but I just wanted to write down how I feel.

What are your thoughts on bloggers/youtubers who are given crazily big opportunities?! Lets interact! <3

10 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post - & I completely agree with your views on supporting each other. Of course everyone gets a little jealous at times.. but hopefully jealous in a "I'm so proud I'm jealous" rather than a "i hate you I'm jealous" way. Being bitter is only going to bring you down & make you miserable..

    xx

    Small&Blonde ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is honestly one of the most loveliest posts I've ever read! I literally sat here nodding with a smile on my face throughout it x

    Jordan | Keep Dreaming ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post sweet :) a nice way to look at it from the outside, comparisons are never good :)

    Kayleigh xoxo
    www.veryberrycosmo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really valid point here. I told my mum this morning actually that Zoe was "a famous blogger who was going to be made into a wax work" and she said "would you like that to happen to you from blogging?". Obviously this never would but I instantly said no. I couldn't deal with the hate and not having any privacy, or people constantly nagging you and all the tweets etc. It's insane and I really do feel for the girl. While blogging is so much fun and I would love for it to be a part of my career, I'm not sure if I could handle it if that were the outcome! I loved the end of this post though and that quote is something I am determined to live by xx

    Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same as you do, sometimes i do get jealous about what other people have and that none of us "little" people would get a chance of doing anything like they do. But i love blogging, i love that i dont have a schedule, im glad that no one knows what i look like haha. I want to be known, everyone does really, its my dream to be a full time blogger, i couldnt imagine not having my blog in my life now, its changed me.

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great post and all so true! I think we all find ourselves comparing and feeling a little jealous, I think that's natural, but we are all on our own little blogging journey :)

    Lauren x
    www.foodthoughtslife.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel that if we all support each other, then the more successful we all will be. If I like someone's video, or leave a nice comment, then that will come back round for me one day too! Karma and all that!

    Nicole ♥ nicolelaurenblake.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really interesting read! I guess I've never considered the downside to all the fame they have. would be great if you could check out my fashion blog?:)

    The Fashion Road

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the honesty. Very interesting read and was good to hear your views especially as i am still new to blogging. ;http://evverythingnice.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never really followed big bloggers really but I must say I do agree it does make you feel slightly envious. Personally though I could never keep up with their busy schedules. I like being able to blog when I feel like it and hate having my photo taken, you'll rarely see my face posing on my blog. I say well done to those who have made it in their chosen career. There's a place for anyone who puts in the hard work.

    Wendy xx
    http://bumpkinbrokeandreading.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. You can also email me - glitterandcarousels@yahoo.co.uk. Don't be shy!