Monday 2 February 2015

Beauty mistakes I made as a noughties teenager


I was putting my makeup on this morning and I just thought to myself, 'when did my makeup routine get so complicated'?! I then spent the next twenty minutes thinking about my beauty routine as a teenager and VOILA! this blog post was born.

1. Wearing white eyeliner as an erm, eyeshadow. This literally makes me cringe and scrunch up my nose as I genuinely thought it was the BEST look ever. It was hideous.

2.  Being scared of mascara and over compensating with a kohl black eyeliner instead by just wearing a thick black line of it on my waterline. My eyes were basically non existent.

3.   Absolutely dousing myself in Vanderbilt perfume that I'd stolen off my Mum only for my friends to say 'CAN ANYONE ELSE SMELL OLD LADIES?!' every five minutes. Awks.

4. Having at least 5 tubs of Vaseline in my bag that were all dented and had been scratched within an inch of their lives (bored in lessons + compass = scratched vaseline tub).

5. Scraping my hair into the tightest ponytail ever then combing out all of the lumps because it needed to be PERFECT. Then adding some gel to make sure it stayed slick all day long.

6. Discovering Dream Matte Mousse foundation and insisting that a shade that was 3 times darker than my actual skin tone was just made for me, y'know?! Obviously a foundation line is essential cause who would know you're wearing it otherwise? DUH.

7. Having a major hissy fit because the minty Natural Collection lip gloss was completely sold out in Boots and I just needed massive lips like my friends.

8.  BARRY M DAZZLE DUST!! Need I say more? but seriously, I used to wear the bright green one right up to my brow bone. I'm so ashamed right now.

9. Wearing concealer. On my lips. Come on, you did it too!

10. Getting shouted at by my Mum for using all the cucumbers for my fresh face mask. Cheers Shout magazine.

11. Getting up an hour earlier to go to my friends house cause she had GHD's. Then straightening my hair until it was flat on my head and having a total melt down if it rained.

12. Going weeks without removing my chipped nail varnish because nobody really cared what your nails looked like. Did they?

13. Having lips that constantly looked like you'd just ate a greasy bag of chips because you couldn't stop applying your fav clear lipgloss.

What beauty mistakes did you make as a teenager?! Can you relate to any of these?

18 comments:

  1. This post is just amazing and so funny too! I used to have my hair in the smoothest pony tail ever! I never wanted any lumps or bumps! Oh, I was obsessed with dazzle dust too!!

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those lumps and bumps made me soooo late for school! I genuinely used to comb them out. Cringe! xx

      Delete
  2. I always when OTT with my bronzer!!!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know what bronzer was back then. Just had a full face of foundation with no definition hahaha. xx

      Delete
  3. I made all these mistakes in the 90s!! White eyeshadow, WAY TOO MUCH PRESSED POWDER and Salon Selectives spray gel to get that crispy, slicked back hair do (with the obligatory "two bits" at the front).

    Not my finest hour...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Those two bits were so hard to get even! I never had the Salon Selectives spray gel, just used to steal my Mum's boyfriends and brothers haha. xx

      Delete
  4. Love this post!

    I only just turned 18 so those embarrassing days weren't too long ago.
    I had the Matte Mousse foundation, way too dark and drying but I thought it was perfect! I use to love wearing dark blue/black eyeshadow and wiping away the blended edges so it was a harsh line, oh so emo.
    Also, I may still have my collection of Barry M Dazzle Dusts, I just can't give them away! Even the lime green one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha oh I remember the phase of the sharp lines although I could never really apply eyeshadow properly! xx

      Delete
  5. I'm the same as Paige, I've still got my Dazzle Dusts! There's even a bright purple one... AND SHOUT MAGAZINE. I remember getting a headband as a freebie and wearing it every day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chucked mine out a couple of weeks ago, a part of me died inside but they were leaking all over my other eyeshadows so they just had to go. OH MY GOD, the freebies! I completely forgot about those. Did you ever collect the Sabrina magazines that came with the carry case and makeup? Such exciting timessss! xx

      Delete
  6. Ohh god!! The mousse foundation, the dazzle pots and the sleek ponytails that made me look like a greasy mess!!
    Hilarious post! Shout and Just17 had a lot to answer for :p
    Gill x http://eyelinerflicks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did we think all of this was a good idea?! I can't remember Just17?! I remember Shout, Girl Talk and Sabrina the teenage witch magazines but not much else! xx

      Delete
  7. I can def relate to the mousse foundation and clear lip gloss. I also had an obsession with pale blue eyeshaddow...cringe! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why was it always the most unflattering eyeshadow colours we used to love?! Aaaah! xx

      Delete
  8. I love reading this and agreeing with EVERYTHING haha! I remember when GHDs were first out, just before prom and we all thought we looked so cool with our flat heads! true though, I use SO much now, but I think I just slapped on dream matte mousse, and lipgloss when I was younger! haha :) Excellent post! Loved reading it! :)
    haveyouseenhowshespeaks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous post, I have to agree so much with this post. I think it was always a thing for your Vaseline tin to be dented and scratched as mine were always the same haha. Oh gosh Dream Matte Mousse - why!? I’d never go back there again I don’t think hehe. I used to wear such heavy eyeliner and it wouldn’t always be black, would sometimes be like a gunmetal grey ha!

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember doing number 5 too - it's so funny how we now strive for the perfect degree of messiness!
    Megan x
    London Callings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. You can also email me - glitterandcarousels@yahoo.co.uk. Don't be shy!